Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sam-iches

When I was an elementary school youngster, my mother would make my lunch, wrap the sandwich in wax paper and put it in my Superman metal lunchbox with a piece of fruit or cucumber slices (also wrapped in waxpaper) and a thermos of milk. I remember three kinds of sandwiches; meatloaf with catchup, peanut butter and grape jelly or baloney with American cheese and Miracle Whip. At 10-years old, you just shut up and eat what you are told to eat. As an adult I now know that I greatly dislike sandwiches that have been kept in a small metal box for four hours sitting on the class's cloakroom shelf. The meatloaf wasn't so bad, but the catchup used to get an odd after-taste after warming all morning, the grape jelly would soak into the bread and get mushy and the warm balcony and cheese would get very soft and melt into the Miracle Whip.

I used to get in trouble with the teacher because I would trade my sandwich and fruit for somebody's more yummy sandwich...like salami or cold grill cheese. The little tradee/classmate would find out that I had gotten the better part of the deal and would squeel on me to the authoritatian dictator of a teacher.

I can distinctly remember the teacher saying at 11:55AM, each school day, "Lunch time, boys and girls...and NO TRADING."

[caption id="attachment_641" align="aligncenter" width="200" caption="(not exact replica)"]44b3_2[/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment