Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Stealing Grapes

This afternoon I made my daily trip to Albertsons. As usual, I made my first round through the fruit and veggy section to grab some naval oranges (Cara Cara Naval to be specific). Across the "fruit island" was a grandmotherly looking lady. She had opened the ziplock bag of green grapes and was eating the grapes one-by-one. After picking out my four oranges, she was still munching down on the grapes. I could contain myself no longer so I looked straight at her and said, "You're supposed to pay for the grapes before you eat them." She looked up and replied, "I have to sample them before I know their worth buying." I was shocked.... I said back, "Sampling is one thing....you're making a meal out of them....As a matter of fact, your stealing from the store." "I'm ***NOT*** stealing!!!!"

I rolled my cart away, shaking my head in total disgust.

After a spin around the store, I remembered I wanted some pears. So back to the "fruit island" I go. What do I find? The same grandmotherly looking lady...except she is now "sampling" the strawberries. She had three strawberry boxes open and was swapping out the superior berries for the "less than perfect berries." If that wasn't bad enough, one out of three of the berries ended up in her mouth. She was stashing the stems into the "less than perfect" box.

I just stood there and stared at her. She noticed me and said, "I'm not stealing...I don't steal...stealing is a sin."

I just walked away.

***sigh***

1 comment: