Monday, February 02, 2009

Black Awareness Month

In an "All Hands" message today:

"February is Black History Month, during this month we take the opportunity to recognize Black Americans and the contributions they have made for their country. The theme for this year's program is The Quest for Black Citizenship in the Americas."

I asked my co-team-members:
"When are we going to have a "Deaf History Month," "Samoan-American Week" or even "Depressed-Guy-Who's-People-Have-Been-Here-Since-Jamestown Afternoon?" Why is it that I always feel jilted when February comes around?  Just asking."

#1 (A deaf person) answered:
"I know what you mean... We deaf get clumped together with "Disabled Appreciation Month" (Oct)... But it's like apples and oranges! We face very different obstacles that normally confront physically challenged persons."

#2 (a Samoan-American person) answered:
"I'm not sure we Samoan-Americans have been on this continent long enough to deserve a month, week, afternoon, or even 59 minutes, so I won't complain."

No comments:

Post a Comment